Tuesday 27 August 2013

Stressed, Depressed but Well Dressed?

I found this tablet cover when I was in Brighton yesterday initially it made me a little cross that two serious mental health issues were being used as a fashion statement. But then I realised that they are statements that (hopefully) apply to me.

My personal style (if you can call it that) varies from day to day as I've described in a previous blog. I tend to try to still have fun with clothes and make up even when I'm feeling really low as it gives me something to hang on to and it's a small, daily victory against depression. If my depression had it's way I'd be in jeans and a hoodie everyday, which is fine by me but I do like to try and dress up a wee bit for work.

I've always liked to look a bit different to everyone else, it's hang-over from being called a freak at school, I thought "you think I'm a freak now? Watch this ..." Nowadays I also have to tackle the hurdle that a lot of nice clothes aren't made for people over a size 14.

Thank god in this case for www.collectif.com & www.lindybop.com who both make gorgeous vintage inspired pieces that go up to sensible sizes. I would embrace my goth side far more often but disappointingly most gothic clothing manufacturers consider a 14 XXL and refuse to make anything bigger, which is a shame as I adore beautiful, Victorian style gothic clothes.

Today in my F-you to depression I'm wearing a black and white rose print 1950s style skirt, a white lace top, a black & white Chanel-style cardie that I found in Primark last winter (yes I know I'm probably going to hell for shopping there but a girls gotta do ...). I've topped the look off with some silver bracelets I've made and a large fake emerald necklace (still having an Oz moment).

So whilst I am stressed & depressed I still like to think I'm pretty well dressed .......

Love Jen

XxxX
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...