Wednesday 7 August 2013

Inside My Mind - BBC3

Second blog of the day you lucky people!

This evening I tuned into BBC3's "Inside My Mind" which was part of the mental health season they're currently running.

The programme covered mental health disorders such as Schizophrenia, OCD, BiPolar, Social Anxiety & Anorexia and showed what the mind does to the sufferers of these disorders.

Whilst I was a little disappointed that my "common or garden" depression wasn't covered I found the programme fascinating. It showed us what parts of the brain can affect or cause different problems.

What I liked about the programme was that it showed that mental illness is a physical illness and not something that people can *snap out of* or that they can put on or exaggerate.

It also showed research going into the genealogy around mental illness and also treatments. For example there is currently a trial going on at Kings College Hospital in London around firing electromagnetic particles into the brain to help treat Anorexia.

I really hope the season that the BBC is currently running helps to promote mental health and continue to fight the stigma attached to it. I'm also hoping that the pioneering treatments carry on so that we may not have to be reliant on tablets that (in my case) are often side effect heavy and don't always work particularly well.

Fingers crossed!

Xx Jen xX
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...