Sunday 30 March 2014

Happy Mothers (and Grandmother's) Day

In our family we don't really go in for Mother's & Father's Day much, I think because we're very close and express our love for each other on a daily basis we don't feel the need to make a big thing of it. However I would like to dedicate a blog to my Mum & Grandma Rae.

When trying to express how I feel about and how much Mum & Grandma mean to me it's hard to find the right words. Along with the rest of my family they have always made me feel loved and secure no matter what. Whenever I have been going through a tough time they've been there for me and we all get on so well.

Dad, Grandad, Me (no I didn't realise my socks were going to be in the picture thanks Chris!), Grandma & Mum Xmas 2012.
I also want to briefly mention Mum's mum, my Grandma Frances who passed away when I was 4, I am told that I've inherited her crafting passion and her love of shoes! There is an anecdote where Dad & Grandad (also sadly RIP) tried to move a wardrobe and nearly broke their backs as she had neglected to remove her vast shoe collection ..... In fact as you may have guessed I have my two Grandma's Rae & Frances as my middle names (Just as my brother Chris has our Grandad's Roy & Frank as his) which is why I like to use them as my Twitter, Flickr & Facebook names!

Me and Mum have had a few amusing incidents of our own over the years, from getting stuck on a slide in France to being the world's worst cyclists and nearly destroying Sovereign Harbour. Mum is also famed for nearly knocking out French cyclists, referring to a shuttle bus service as a "Buttle Service" and asking if vicars get Christmas Day off. 

Mum and Dad Christmas 2013
I also have so many memories of brilliant days out, running the Race For Life, family holidays (yes Mum I'm sorry I dropped your pistachio ice cream when I was 5  and for putting grass in your tea in the New Forest), her sitting on the beach at Airbourne with me in the wind and rain, sheltering in the Pimms tent at another Airbourne.
In Disneyworld Orlando 2005
Making good use of our time hiding in the Pimms tent at Airbourne 2010
Sheltering from the elements Airbourne 2013
A trip to London July 2013 (neither of us 'do' boats but Helen captured this rare evidence of us on the water)
Running the Race For Life 2013
And yes we know, we look very alike!

And now a dedication to Grandma. The first thing you all need to know about my Grandma is that she looks very much like the Queen and I have, on occasion, been known to call her when in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace to ask if I can come in for Cheese On Toast. Possibly because of my influence most of the family & Helen now refer to her as HRH .....

HRH Grandma, Chris & Grandad 2012
Grandma looked after me, Chris and my two cousins Nick & Tim a lot when we were younger so that Mum and Dad could work. We spent after school and school holiday's at her and Grandad's so their house (aka "The Palace" has always been my second home. When we found out that Grandma had cancer at the start of last year I was terrified but in her normal fashion she beat it and she's all clear, although she did insist on showing me her scar!

Grandma didn't really like my tattoos until I got this kingfisher to celebrate her beating cancer, kingfishers are her favorite bird and whenever I go to see her she insists on seeing it. The rose blossom on the branch that it sits on is in memory of my other Grandma who always loved roses. 
Happy Mother's Day Mum & Grandma, thank you for everything and I love you both so much.

Jen
XxxX












No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...