Sunday 9 August 2015

Gearing Up For Airbourne

It's at this time of year that I start getting incredibly excited for Eastbourne's annual airshow Airbourne. I may possibly have mentioned it in previous blogs. I thought that this year I'd give it my own very amateur preview.

For those of you not in the know, Eastbourne runs a free 4 day airshow along our seafront in August each year and those 4 days are the highlight of my year. I love how the whole town gets involved, even the non-geeks come to a stand still when the Red Arrows thunder over.

This is my own guide to what's flying, if you are going to the show then please, please buy a programme - they're a mere £4 and give you far more technical information that I can offer and raise money to keep the show free. Plus the pictures are really pretty!

Vulcan XH558


Where to begin? Our headliner this year defies description that doesn't descend into my over emotional fan-girl babble.
2012 taken by me
She's the world's only flying Vulcan bomber kept alive by the amazing people at the Vulcan To The Sky trust. She fills the sky and still inspires awe in everyone who has the privilege to see her. When you watch her then just remember it was another Vulcan (XM607) just like her, who for a long time held the world record for the longest bombing run, when she was dispatched from Ascenion Island to bomb the runway at Port Stanley in the Falklands (Vulcan 607 by Roland White is a fantastic read).


2012 taken by me
On an entirely superficial level she is just beautiful she has the iconic delta shape, AVRO's famous quote "If it looks right, it flies right" applies perfectly. And just wait until you hear the famous Vulcan Howl, when her 4 Bristol Siddeley Olympus engines let rip as she climbs. 

If that's not enough to convince you then take a look at her last time she was in town (listen out for her howl at the end of the video) -



The Red Arrows

There's not much I can add that hasn't already been said about the mighty reds. To be frank I adore them. They are the best in the world and make me proud to know they are flying the flag for Britain. They never fail to stun me with their amazing maneuvers and absolute precision. 

Taken by me 2014

Taken by me 2014



Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight -

This year is the 75th Anniversary of the Battle Of Britain, making this year's display all the more poignant. 

Sadly due to an engine fire the Lancaster won't be with us which is a real shame, especially after last years' amazing sight of the only two flying Lancasters in the world in formation over Eastbourne. 

This year we will be seeing the BBMF's Spitfire, Hurricane and Dakota. It always brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat watching them.

Hurricane, taken by me 2012

Spitfire, taken by me 2014

Dakota (and special guest) taken by me 2014

We're also lucky enough to have some other Warbirds visiting us this year too -


Blenheim -

This is a world war 2 'light bomber', I have been reliably informed that I saw one many years ago as a child! 

Blenheim 



Spitfire MK9 -

One of the highlights of any airshow is John Romain in his 2 seat Spitfire. Seeing her swoop low over the sea sends shivers down my spine.

2013 taken by me

2014 taken by me


P-40 Kittyhawk

A US Warbird mainly used in the Far East. She hasn't been to Eastbourne for a couple of years, and I'm hoping she still has her skull artwork on her nose!

2013 taken by me

P-51 Mustang

One of my favorite Warbirds, another American type. She's gorgeous looking and listen out for her 'whistle' as the air rushes over her machine gun turrets. 

2014 taken by me


Chinook -

When you see the big tandem rotor-ed helicopter approaching it may not look like much. Just wait until she gets going! Her routine has been described as "Ballet dancing with elephants" - they aren't wrong! She's staggeringly maneuverable for a craft so big. 

Taken by me 2013

Typhoon -

The Typhoon display team's Twitter hashtag is #BringTheNoise - they aren't far wrong! The RAF's frontline multi-role jet tears the sky apart and I love every single minute of it!

Buzzing the pier in 2008 - taken by me

2014 (in her D Day anniversary markings) taken by me

2014 taken by me

Hawk T2 Duo

The hawk is famous as the aircraft used by the Red Arrows, it's the RAF's fast jet trainer. This year they are doing a role demo which should prove pretty interesting. 

2012 taken by me


The Blades

I'm not a massive fan of aerobatic teams (save the Red Arrows obviously) - I'd rather been seeing something historic or noisy! But The Blades are the exception. The Blades are a team formed by ex-Red Arrows pilots in 2006 and they are fantastic. Watch out for their 'crazy flying' move - it's also worth noting that if you enter the Airbourne raffle you can win the chance to fly with them ... you may want to judge that after you've seen their display!

Taken by me 2014

How close?? Taken by me 2014


Tutor T1 -

The Tutor is the RAF's basic training aircraft (trainee pilots then go onto the Tucano, Hawk and eventually one of the RAF frontline jets - a Tornado or Typhoon) it puts on a pretty energetic areobatic display. 

2014 taken by me



Royal Navy Sea King -

The Royal Navy uses the Sea King as part of it's commando force, it is also used for search and rescue. I'm hoping it will team up with the Lifeboat like the RAF one did last year. 

2014 (RAF Sea King) taken by me



Breitling Wingwalkers -

Everyone laughs at me whenever the wingwalkers are mentioned. I know that the kids love them and they are a crowd pleaser and represent the glory days of 'barnstorming'. But having spent many years at airshows they just don't interest me that much any more. 

......... I'd totally give it a go though!!!!
2014 taken by me (yes really!)



Norwegian Vampires & MIG-15

The Norwegian Airforce Historical Squadron visited the show with their De Havilland Vampire last year. The Vampire is a beautiful example of late 1940s aircraft design. 

Vampire 2014 - taken by me
This year they are also presenting their MIG-15, another late 40s example, built in the Soviet Union. I've never seen one before so I'm really looking foward to it's display.

MIG-15



Tigers Parachute Team- 

The Tigers are the British Army's parachute team, they move into some fantastic formations mid-air. 

2013 - taken by me


Aerosparx -

Airbourne traditionally closes with a big fireworks display, this year it has moved to Saturday evening and the organisers have also booked the Areosparx to fire up some pyrotechnics. One of the pilots is champion glider Guy Westgate and if he's involved it's bound to be pretty spectacular. 

Areosparx

Belgian NH90 -

When this was first announced I was a bad plane geek in asking "what's one of those?". It was only when I googled it that I realised that it's very similar to the Merlin's that our forces operate. Merlin's are pretty impressive looking beasts so the NH90 should be good!

NH90


Jet Provost -

The Jet Provost was the RAF's fast jet trainer during the 70s-80s and has a rare two seat 'side by side' cockpit (a photo exists of my and my brother hanging out of one at RAF Hendon somewhere in the archives!). It has a lovely paint scheme that always sparkles nicely in the sun. 

2014 - taken by me

2014 - taken by me


RV8TORS -

Another of the formation display teams, the kids will love them!

2014 taken by me

Bulldog T1 -

This trainer is operated by Scottish Aviation and this year is the first time she's displayed at Eastbourne. 

Bulldog


Patrouille Reva -

I remember the first time I caught sight of these many years ago, they look like UFOs! 

Patrouille Reva

I hope you've enjoyed my rough guide to what's on at Airbourne this year. I'd really encourage you to head down if you have the chance, especially on Saturday to see the Vulcan since this is sadly her last display season. 

To try and tempt you further here's a video I cobbled together of the first day of the show last year -


Love Jen
XxxxX


Ps tomorrow keep an eye out for my ultimate pre-airshow films to watch and my airshow playlist!





















No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...