Wednesday 19 November 2014

More Quality Journalism From The Daily Mail

Flicking through Nirvana & Kurt Cobain pins on Pinterest this afternoon I came across this charming article on The Daily Mail's website (webshite more like) from earlier this year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586299/Never-seen-photographs-reveal-Kurt-Cobains-Los-Angeles-apartment.html

For my readers from overseas The Mail is a newspaper here in the uk that likes to pretend to be highbrow but in reality fills it's pages with moral panic scare stories about Immigration, the Labour Party, Paedophiles (often directly opposite a story about the offspring of one celebrity or other being papped whilst trying to enjoy a peaceful day out in the park) or telling women how they should or shouldn't look or act.

The article would have  made me laugh if it wasn't written with such smug superiority. Scraping the barrel of reporting once again "a spoon was found that could show evidence of heroin use". Seriously??? Yes we all know Kurt was a heroin addict but a single spoon does not indicate a drugs den! How about the packet of Smarties? With the E numbers they still contained in the early 90s I'm very much surprised that their quality journalism hasn't picked up that they could be used for hallucinogenic purposes! I always remember reading an article in the NME when one of their reporters working when the news of Kurt's death broke was contacted by "some plummy voiced hack from The Daily Mail asking about 'this Chuck Cobain'" says it all doesn't it?

Looking at my floor I guess that the Mail would assume from the pair of socks and copies of Vogue and Marie Claire (plus the annoying leaflet inserts that come out of them) that I am a dangerous, superficial fashion obsessive who must be stopped! The truth is I like me a bit of couture, the socks are there to be worn this evening. In truth all it tells you is that I'm a bit messy. Which apparently is a newsworthy crime!

What winds me up the most is the use of someone's very real battle with mental illness and drugs as cheap entertainment. The Mail were one of the worst when Amy Winehouse was still alive, hounding her with glee then proclaiming what a tragedy it was when she died.

So Daily Mail we may be here but please feel free not to try to entertain us.

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...