Wednesday 11 December 2013

The Day I Became A Disney Princess

It's not often I have the opportunity to compare myself to a Princess, when I was a kid I always wanted to be one of the male characters if we were playing Disney - Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Aladdin and Co had far better adventures than some drippy damsel waiting to be saved. As a child I detested the colour pink and never really went in for sparkle and castles.

"What changed?" I hear you ask. "Have you suddenly discovered cerise and are spinning round the middle of the room singing details of your wait for a handsome prince?" fear not readers! I can confirm that I am neither wearing cerise (your blogger is today dressed in black jeans, a skull jumper & DMs with no make-up owing to a rush this morning not to miss the bus) nor about to burst into song (I'm sure those of you that have heard me sing will be incredibly grateful for this!).

This weekend I saw Disney's Frozen, the story of two Princesses loosely based on The Snow Queen. It was actually the best Disney I've seen in some time (and this is coming from a massive Disney fan) - good songs, hilarious supporting cast (especially Olaf the snowman) and a leading man who, to mine & Helen's great amusement looked like a cross between the racing drivers Kimi Raikonnen & Mika Hakinnen. 

After the film I thought about the elder princess, Elsa, who afraid that her powers of creating ice are a danger to others locks herself away in her room and then in an ice castle. In a way she is representative of a lot of us mental health folk. I know I worry about how my Bipolar effects the people I love, sometimes thinking it would be better if I disappeared rather than being a burden upon them. 

I also thought that Elsa hiding in the ice castle was representative of those who are forced, by society's prejudice, to hide away due to a mental health condition. If people like The Sun had their way we would all still be in shackles in Bedlam! 

It took Elsa's younger sister Ana to break through the ice barriers with her love for and belief in Elsa to give the film a classic Disney 'Happy ending'. I'm lucky that I have Helen & my family who do melt away the barriers that I put up for their protection.

Else also discovered that her powers weren't a curse and that they could be used to bring her people great joy. People suffering with mental health problems need to be reminded that no matter what their problems are they still bring their own 'people', their friends and families, great joy and love.

Perhaps if more people were willing to breach the ice barricades and reach out to people with mental health problems then there would be more happy endings.

Love Jen
XxxxX


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...