Wednesday 30 July 2014

RIP Eastbourne Pier

Today my hometown of Eastbourne lost part of it's identity. Our beautiful Victorian-era pier caught fire and has been partly destroyed. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28571431

Being a born and bred Eastbourneian I'm absolutely gutted. The pier is the jewel in Eastbourne's crown and is one of the last links to the town we once were. The council has, over the years, made many misguided attempts to 'modernize' the town but the pier was a sedate reminder that these changes were't necessary and we would carry on quite well on our own thank you. 

I have so many memories of the pier, playing the penny machines in the arcade (the part that caught fire today), pumping most of my spending money into the cuddly toy grabbing machines (I only won once back in 1999, a cuddly alien, I called it Mars - spooky I know), watching the fishermen at the end of the pier, under 18s nights at Atlantis the nightclub at the end of the pier, cream teas in the tea room. I've watched the displays at Airbourne from the pier (it's always packed for the Red Arrows), the chips from the pier are hands-down the best in the entire town. 

I really hope that the pier can be restored, a fundraising group has already been set up where people can donate. Below are some of my favourite pictures I've taken of the pier over the years  some of photos of today's fire.

Love Jen
XxxX 


Framed by deckchairs on a summer's evening
All lit up


A sunny day
This is the arcade that caught fire today

I love the detail on the lamposts


On fire
Flames through the smoke

Still smoking this evening
                                      
As you can see the arcade building is just a shell







No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...