Tuesday 22 July 2014

Mental Health First Aid At Work?

‎I've just read a brilliant report on the BBC News website by Charlotte Walker about a new scheme of Mental Health first aiders being implemented in some workplaces (article is here http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-28406211). 

What a brilliant idea! Knowing that your workplace has someone there specifically trained to understand mental illness would make the world of difference to people, like me, trying to juggle the world of work whilst struggling to keep my head above water with a mental illness. 

A Mental Health first aider would also be able to spot early signs of conditions such as stress or anxiety developing either as a result of the job or outside work experiences. Early treatment of anxiety/stress/depression in some cases can lead to it being nipped in the bud early on before it grows and takes over someone's life. 

Whilst my work colleagues are sympathetic to my illness and it's symptoms, having a specific person I could go and vent to when I'm having a bad day, rather than colleagues already struggling with their own workloads, would make the world of difference.

As I've pointed out in many of my previous blogs mental illness is as much a physical illness as a broken leg or being in a wheelchair and it's about time workplaces stood up and took notice. 

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...