Tuesday 26 August 2014

A Case Of The Grokes

In the traditional British manner tonight I choose to blog about the weather. Yesterday's traditional bank holiday weather confirmed my fears that Autumn is well on it's way.

Unlike many people I don't relish the changing of the seasons or celebrate their variety. I'm a summer girl through and through. I love the blazing hot sun, warm breeze caressing my skin and lifting my hair, long and light evenings, the sun coming up long before my alarm goes off. I don't even mind the humid nights because I know that all too soon summer will be gone again.

 I associate summer with freedom, that long holiday from school where I wouldn't ‎face hell every day, being able to go out after work for a walk knowing that I won't have to worry about the sun setting early or getting home and putting the buns straight onto the grass for a run around in the evening sunshine. Barbecues, sitting in the garden listening to music until late, festivals, airshows, being able to plan days out and it hopefully not raining. 

I tend to think of the Sunday of Airbourne being the last day of summer, every year the weather changes either that day or immediately after for the worst. A little Autumn gloom creeps in. 

Lots of people I know love Autumn, I enjoy it's spectacular colours for a day or so and the September issues of magazines but all it does is serve to remind me of what's to come. It's back to school or work after the summer holiday (or in my case the Airbourne holiday). Back to the bullying then and the problems now. Gradually the weather worsens, the temperature drops and the days get darker.

Then we have winter. You'll notice I've included pictures of The Groke from The Moomins at the start of this blog, in Tove Jansson's books she represents winter and it's darkness. When I was a kid watching the more modern Moomin cartoons she frightened the life out of me and gave me nightmares. It also turns out that she represents winter depression which probably explains why she still scares me! 

Winter is just dark to me, I find little joy in any of it's aspects.‎ The weather is cold and wet, there is little light to be found anywhere. Not a good recipe for anyone with a depressive side to their nature. I like Halloween obviously, which celebrates the darkness, it's like my Christmas. I struggle with Christmas and New Year, I find it hard to be celebratory when it's so dark and dull. 

I really hope the weather will prove me wrong and give us a few more scorching days before the 'summer' is out, especially as me and Helen are supposed to be going to Shoreham Airshow this weekend (although as we know when I look foward to something it doesn't happen or goes wrong ala the Airbourne weather!). Keep your fingers crossed please!

I guess it's time to start preparing for hibernation......

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...