Monday 15 January 2018

Jen's (Occasional) Book Club

I wanted to write a post to celebrate finally getting back into reading after years in the literary wilderness.

When I was a kid I permanently had my nose in a book, at Primary School my teachers speculated that I'd end up being an author as I loved creative writing. Unfortunately after completing my English Language & Literature A-Level I was left unable to read more than the back of a cereal packet after years of analysing the language of texts, commenting on every single use of grammar (A colon can make all the difference believe me!).

I could dip in and out of books and magazines, my main reading was done during the Saturdays I was working at CMS as my boyfriend didn't like me reading around him, apparently it was required for me to sit and watch him play computer games but reading was offensive even when I was sat right next to him.

Now I've finally pushed myself back into my Kindle/Book, due in most part to my best friend Helen's love of reading and also the excitement around my friend Gemma finally releasing her first book (more of that later).

I wanted to share with you some of the books that have put the joy back into reading for me.


Gail Carriger - Etiquette & Espionage

When I was initially trying to get back into reading Helen suggested that I try Young Adult fiction and this was the perfect book for me. It covers my love of Steampunk, girl power, a Daschund called Bumbersnoot and an exploding wicker chicken! What more could you want? The Souless series by Gail is also worth a read too.


Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus

I absolutely adore this book, I've re-read it a number of times now and it just never gets old. The description of the circus and it's occupants is quite frankly magical. The way that Erin uses words to paint a picture is beautiful. I really hope she writes something again soon.

F Scott Fitzgerald - The Beautiful & The Damned

The Great Gatsby is my favourite book (joint with Alice's Adventures In Wonderland obviously) with it's description of the decadence of the 1920s but also it's darker side. The Beautiful & The Damned goes a little further into the darker side and explores what it's like when the party is over.

David Hepworth - 1971 & Uncommon People

David Hepworth is a music journalist and naturally follows the advice of "write about what you know". I couldn't choose between these two as I love them equally. 1971 documents the year that the music scene changed forever with so many different genres coming into popular music and the release of some era-defining (and one could argue genre-defining) albums. Uncommon People is about the 'rock & roll stars' it focuses on one day a year and tells the story of what, for example, David Bowie was doing that day that was notable. Both are really good reads if, like me, you're obsessed with music.


Sylvia Patterson - I'm Not With The Band

Sylvia Patterson's book is a memoir of her time as a music journalist from the late 80s to the present day and re-ignited my dream of being a music journalist (although sadly I think this is the closest I'm ever going to get). Rock n Roll debauchery at it's finest!


Lizzy Goodman - Meet Me In The Bathroom

This book is about the New York music scene from the early 00's until 2011. I initially found it a little hard going as it's written almost as if it was the transcript of a conversation but once I got into it I loved it. There are so many fun anecdotes from artists such as The Strokes, Interpol, LCD Soundsystem, The White Stripes and many more.


Gemma Humphrey Revelation: Trinity Part 1

Whilst I know I technically have a vested interest in this book as Gem is a great friend of mine I genuinely really enjoyed this book. It's Young Adult fiction at it's very best, the descriptions of Cambridge University and especially the Summer Ball really paints a picture in the reader's head. It challenges pre-conceived notions of good and evil without losing it's light touch and humour.

I'd love to know what books you guys are enjoying at the moment, drop me a tweet or find me on Instagram both at @jenraefrances.

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...