Friday 22 September 2023

Duxford Battle Of Britain Airshow Review

 


Hi guys on Sunday Dad and I went to Duxford's Battle Of Britain Airshow for my 4th and Dad's 2nd time (you can read my review of the 2021 show here). The airshow is timed to be the weekend closest to 'Battle Of Britain Day' (15th September) also known as 'The longest day' the largest German bombardment of WW2. Like previous years we went with Lynn's Travel

We had a lovely sunrise whilst we were waiting for the coach

We arrived with plenty of time to have a look around the various hangers (if you live locally I'd highly recommend going on a 'normal' non-airshow day as there is so much to see there) I always like the American Hanger as it has an SR71 Blackbird which is the closest I'll ever get to Area 51 😂

Such an awesome looking aircraft

A P51 Mustang with it's Merlin engine on show in the Restoration Hanger

We were able to walk along the flightline to look at the aircraft parked up ahead of the display.

Sally B

Buchons

Spitfires

A Spitfire catching the light

Mustang

Like last time as an Imperial War Museums Member Dad and I had access to the private seating area that had it's own toilets and coffee van.

You get some great views like of this Swordfish taking off

The show got underway with the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight with their Lancaster and 2 Spitfires.



After their display the Lancaster joined up with Duxford's resident Flying Fortress Sally B which was an absolutely stunning sight of these two huge bombers in close formation. 

Wow


Sally B then did her own display -




Next up was a recreation of a Battle Of Britain dogfight between 2 ME109 Buchons and 2 Spitfires. Fun fact Duxford featured in the 1969 film Battle Of Britain (one of my favourite films of all time).

Buchon getting airborne

On the attack

Spitfire incoming

Dogfight

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get quite as many photos as I'd have liked due to some short but heavy showers (a huge well done to the organisers, pilots and everyone involved for keeping the show going) and I didn't want to risk getting my camera wet (It was bad enough accidentally leaving my can of G&T in the rain resulting in it almost getting watered down 😨) So please use your imagination to picture Catalina and Swordfish in the air, as well as an excellent display by the AVRO Anson.  

Some other highlights were a trio of Mustangs -




Hurricanes

Some Cold War era jet action was provided by the Norwegian Vampire -



Curtis Hawk

Lysanders

The most famous part of Duxford's Battle Of Britain shows is the mass Spitfire & Hurricane flypast (watching them all take off is a spectacle in itself). Whilst they're all forming up one aircraft plays the 'joker' to entertain the crowd and this year it was the job of this beautiful silver Spitfire. 



Just wow

Obviously photos cannot possibly do justice to the sight and sound of all those Merlin & Griffon engines in formation but hopefully this video will give you a small taste. 



The finale of the show was provided by the Red Arrows in their final UK show of the year. 

In formation


I like how the writing is reflecting on the wing of the aircraft

After trying all season I finally got the photos of the synchro pair doing their passes that I've been trying to get all season!




I've put together a video of the show highlights that you can find on my YouTube channel or below -



It was another great show from Duxford and I can't wait for next month's Flying Finale (you can read about last year's show here) please keep your fingers crossed for some sunshine!

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...