Tuesday 4 July 2023

Headcorn Airshow 2023

 



The first airshow of the year is done and dusted! On Sunday Dad and I went to Headcorn Battle Of Britain Airshow and enjoyed some lovely weather and Merlin engines aplenty. 

First trip out  this year for the RAF display hat 

When we arrived the fighters were already out on the grass ready to go -

ME109 Buchon

Hurricane

Spitfires

The show was opened by the 'Tiger 9' Tiger Moths (as the name suggests) in formation.



Headcorn has a few resident aircraft including Spitfires a Dakota (more of that later) and this Harvard. 



Next up was one of the show highlights a Battle Of Britain dogfight re-creation featuring the ME109 and two Spitfires. 



Spitfires getting airbourne

There's a video of the dogfight on my YouTube Channel


Continuing with the Battle Of Britain theme we had 3 Hurricanes.

This is one of my favourite photos from the day



Some more Spitfires


We were lucky enough to have two 'heavies' as well as the resident Dakota, first up was the Flying Fortress 'Sally B'. As an aside one of my favourite memories from my first Biggin Hill airshow was being able to climb inside her, so cool!





The first jet display of the day came courtesy of the Strike Display UK pair. 



The Headcorn-based aircraft then took part in the 'Aero Legends Balbo' which consisted of the Dakota, Harvard and two Spitfires. 




The penultimate display of the day came from the RAF Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight's Lancaster. In the weeks before the show she and the rest of the BBMF fleet had been grounded due to a problem with one of the aircraft's merlin engines. Thankfully she was all fixed and put on a beautiful display. 

Glinting in the sunshine


There's a video of her here -


The show was rounded off in style by the Red Arrows this was the first 'display' I'd seen this year (the other times I saw them were flypasts for the King's Coronation and Trooping The Colour) and they're looking really good. They're up to an 8 ship again now with the full 9 ship again next year. 

Incoming!

The synchro pair -




Here's some more footage of the display -


It was a really lovely day out, I have some more highlights in this video including Sally B and the Balbo. 



Next up is RIAT which is only a week away 😨 I'll try to get a preview blog up in the next few days of all the aircraft I'm looking forward to seeing. 

Love Jen

XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...