Friday 7 August 2020

The Tale Of Two Decades


 Hiya guys I hope you're all doing as well as possible in this crazy time. At the tail end of last year I was thinking back on the decade that was and hoping that 2020 will be the same fresh decade start like 2010 was. 

2010 was a turning point for me, a year and a half's temporary respite from the depression and anxiety that had plagued me constantly. There were so many fun times, gigs, airshows, a new job that I loved, meeting Helen and so many good times with my friends and family. Sometimes remembering this time of my life makes me sad, I was happy then and I wonder if I'll ever be that happy again. But I don't want to go down that route in this blog, instead I want to celebrate the great year that was 2010.

                            This is one of my favourite ever photos of 'The Ginstitute' 


First up let's have a look at the gigs that happened in 2010. In the space of one week in February I saw my two favourite artists 30 Seconds To Mars and Lady GaGa.

30 Seconds To Mars at Wembley Arena

Luke and I at the O2 Arena ready for Lady GaGa




In the Autumn 30 Seconds To Mars returned to the UK for shows in Lincoln (a teeny show at the university bar which was absolutely amazing, in October), two shows in Brighton and one at the O2 Arena (November). The two Brighton shows were extra special for me as they were the first shows that Helen and I went to together. 

Lincoln Engine Shed Oct 2010


Helen and I queuing outside the Brighton Centre 






After the second Brighton show the band came out in the snow to sign autographs and take photos with us. I'll gloss over the fact that I came down with a horrible cold a few days later .....




The final show of the tour was at the O2 Arena




My other geeking was well fulfilled this year with some great airshow moments, first up on a boiling hot day in June was Biggin Hill



The VC10


My favourite planes Tornados!


                                                     The much missed Harrier

In July we headed to Farnborough 


A USAF B52 


Play this F18 loud!



The Vulcan needs no introduction!

In August the planes came to me when Eastbourne had it's annual 'Airbourne' show. I'm currently working on a 'best of' video of the last decade of shows but here's a short clip of 2010's show. 



The final show of the year was a very soggy Shoreham that Dad and I went to but the rain was worth it for the incredibly low pass by a Hurricane. 


Just wow!

It was also our final sight of an RAF Harrier as they were retired a couple of months later (curse you Philip Hammond!). 


A couple of snaps of those brave enough to join me in my geeking...... 

Mum and me hiding from the rain with our Pimms

Geek uniform

More Pimms with Hilary and Lydia

Enjoying the evening entertainment

Helen and Me


I had the best time with my friends and family this year, nights out, days out, trips, gigs and meeting new people who became family (I'm looking at you Helen!). Here are some photos of all these good times.

Kayleigh, Gem and me getting our 20s on for Gem's birthday


Lydia and me

Chris, Vana and me

Lydia, Hilary and Me being down with the kids at the discotheque 

Chris, Vana and me off out for the evening

Interesting coloured shots with Hilary

Wetherspoons with Lydia

Lydia, Luke and Me

Hilary and Me


Emma, Amanda and me at my work leaving do

Hilary and me

Paws up at Luke's birthday party! (L-R Hilary, Lydia hiding, Me, Dorian, Holly, Adis, Alli, Dan and Luke)

Helen and me at her birthday dinner


That night after a few cocktails that Hilary and I decided it was a genius idea to change her phone background to Samurai Jack ...

See .........

In May I visited my friend Lou in Peterborough

Cocktails of course!



My friend Alli got married. 

Looking beautiful

Lydia, Luke and Hilary
Kayleigh, Lou, Holly and Me (It's so weird seeing my legs with no tattoo!)


Luke and Me

Now a couple of random photos


Helen and Me in our 'work uniforms'

Gem and Me (not pictured is Ellie the cat climbing in boxes)

Tutt Towers moving day! (L-R Tone, Alli, Lydia, Me, Luke and Hilary)



A trip to Brighton with Helen


Chris and Me in the much missed Boris!


Here are a few songs that provided the soundtrack to my year (click on the song titles to check out the videos) -

30 Seconds To Mars - Closer To The Edge
Lady GaGa ft Beyonce - Telephone
Lady GaGa - Alejandro
The Pretty Reckless -Make Me Wanna Die
The Pretty Reckless - Miss Nothing
Marina & The Diamonds - Hollywood
Young Guns - Crystal Clear
My Chemical Romance - Na Na Na
Brandon Flowers - Crossfire

And of course what better way to end the blog than a photo of my beautiful girls!

Miss you Stellybear

A disapproving look from Esme (of course)

Love Jen
XxxX


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...