Monday 4 July 2022

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

 


Hi guys I thought I'd drop some photos from my recent days out and a short trip away to Cambridge (not the most successful it turns out). 

Starting off with a couple of weekends ago I went to my first airshow of the season proper at Duxford and unfortunately due to my stupid anxiety and mood the trip didn't go as well as I hoped. In my defence it all started to go wrong once I got to London Liverpool Street Station only to find my train to Cambridge had been cancelled so I had to get back across London to Kings Cross to get a different train. 

Kings Cross is pretty but not fun when you're stressed, plus I didn't even get to go to Platform 9 and 3/4!

The journey to Cambridge was thankfully uneventful, when I arrived I had planned to be a tourist and go to the museums and have a general wander around before checking into the hotel but it was so hot (34 degrees!) that I just headed straight to the hotel for a cold shower and a nap. 


The room was nice enough, just the right size for a solo traveller (and her Unicorn) staying the one night. 

Someone spent their afternoon admiring themself in the mirror

I ventured back out in the early evening (it was still boiling at 30 degrees 😰) as I'd booked a ticket to see Top Gun: Maverick yet again (I'm up to 4 viewings now!). The cinema was just around the corner from the hotel and part of a lesuire complex (it also scored points for having a licensed bar so I could enjoy a G&T before the film!). 

The Five Guys was really nice




When I headed to the shuttle bus to take me to the airshow from Cambridge Station the weather couldn't have been more of a contrast, it was chilly and gloomy which was a real shock considering the day before's temperatures!

Tea and a Bacon sarnie were the first order of the day

It appeared that I wasn't the only one caught out by the chilly weather as all the hoodies in the gift shop sold out with the only similar products being the Christmas jumpers in the end of season sale. There's nothing odder than seeing people walking around in jumpers with a Christmas Spitfire on them in June 😂


My old favourite the Tornado

Note the Non-Christmas Spitfire hoodie

The day didn't get much better from there as unfortunately my stupid mental health lead me to do the unthinkable and leave the show half way through. I'm still so cross with myself but I did manage to snap a couple of photos and get some videos. 

The Red Arrows weren't displaying but did give us a flypast. 



'Contrary Mary' the Mustang



MIG 15 & Vampire


Strikemasters


The Wildcat watches over the Vampire


Rich Goodwin was fantastic as always in his Muscle BiPlane



Here are some other highlights from the day-



Thankfully the weather was far better for Chris, Dad's & my trip to Goodwood Festival Of Speed the following weekend. 

I blogged about our day out last year (check it out here) and this year followed much the same pattern so rather than re-write it again please skip straight to some pretty pictures 😂

This year's centrepiece celebrated BMW

We started the day correctly with beer and Pimms -




Here are some of the cars we saw -

   

 

 

 

  


Senna 💓💓💓💓💓



As with last year the F1 Medical and Safety cars were there -






I fully endorse Pre-Red Arrows naps

The Red Arrows put on a great display, it was cloudy so it was their 'flat' rather than 'rolling' or 'high' displays.







The final instalment of my trio of trips came when Dad and I went to Headcorn Battle Of Britain Airshow. We were immediately onto a winner as it was sunny unlike last year when it was cancelled due to rain and low cloud making it impossible for aircraft to get off the ground safely. All they managed last year was a 'ground parade' of aircraft. 



Obviously I was wearing my hat deliberately off centre ....


This year the aircraft glinted beautifully in the sunshine as you can see!

The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane



Dakota

We had a Battle Of Britain Dogfight -




Harvards


The music from 633 Squadron went perfectly with the Spitfire pair -






The beautiful B17 Flying Fortress 'Sally B'


Some more highlights are in my YouTube video -



Next up is the 'big one' which is RIAT Dad and I will be heading up for 4 days of plane geek heaven (check out my previous 2017 and 2018 blogs) so prepare yourselves for the geekiest blog in years!

Love Jen
XxxX
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...