Wednesday 4 September 2024

Bournemouth Airshow 2024 Review

 


Last weekend Corney and I had a slightly impromptu trip to Bournemouth Airshow. With everything that's happened lately I hadn't really given any thought to going but after ticking the Draken off of my plane bucket list at Airbourne I saw that it's Viggen counterpart was going to be displaying so along the coast I went.

As with last year I went by train, making use of my ability to sleep anywhere to catch up on some zzz between Brighton & Southampton 😂


A refreshing iced Matcha Latte at Southampton

The view from the top of the cliff

The Waverley moored in the bay

On the beach with the 'weird yellow stuff'

Matching his slushie to his Red Arrows outfit

It was a very hazy day so none of my photographs have come out particularly well but I still enjoyed all the great flying action.

The show opened with my bucket list aircraft the Swedish Historic Flight's Viggen & Draken. They're such crazy looking aircraft and I was so pleased to have ticked them off my list this summer.


Draken

Viggen




Next up were the Army's Red Devils parachute team -




It was wonderful to see the Lancaster again, she flew in from crowd rear like she did at Airbourne and shook the beach with her 4 merlin engines - heaven!




Bournemouth is always well supported by the Royal Navy and this year it's past & present were represented in a 'Taranto Formation' flypast with the Black Cats, Westland Wasp & Swordfish.


The Navy Wings Swordfish & Wasp performed first. 

Wasp

Swordfish

The Black Cats have been one of my favourite displays this year (they were great at RIAT) and Bournemouth was no exception.

Such a dynamic display



I finally saw my first Hurricane of the year (hopefully more to come at Duxford next weekend) in formation with a Spitfire. 



There were plenty of aerobatics in the shape of The Starlings and Rich Goodwin in his Jet Pitts.

The Starlings


Rich Goodwin


A slightly different flavour of display team flying came from the Gazelle Squadron, I really enjoyed their formation passes and breaks.




The noisiest display of the day of course came courtesy of the Typhoon. I could happily have my eardrums rattled day in and day out by them.





The show was closed by the Rolls Royce Heritage Flight with it's MK19 & MK5 Spitfires.

MK19

MK5

I was treated to a lovely sunset on the train home.



You can watch the highlights of the day here -



I had a really great time, next year I'm hoping to stay over in order to watch the night flying and fireworks. 

Next week I'm off to Duxford for their Battle Of Britain show and my final airshow of the year.

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Duxford Battle Of Britain Airshow Review

  On Saturday I went to my final airshow of the year  Duxford's  famous Battle Of Britain airshow and I have to say it was probably the ...