Monday 1 July 2024

Holibobs

Starting off the weekend right with a pub lunch

 

Last weekend was our much anticipated and much needed weekend away. It seems like forever ago that we booked it in January and I was so excited to get away for some RnR.

We were staying on Hayling Island where I'd never been before which is super pretty. Before we got onto 'the island' we had lunch at The Ship Inn (I highly recommend the Rum Spritz).

I need a bar like this

The aforementioned Rum Spritz

The pub was right on the estuary and the view was beautiful.





After a stop at Lidl for supplies (alcohol) it was time to head to the campsite. 

Pre-book in drinks


Mai Tai

We stayed at Away Resorts Mill Rythe site and had a really cute mobile home.




First drinks on the decking

We were near the clubhouse and bar and I got to partake in my first ever game of Bingo (yes I'm 37 but I've clearly lived a sheltered life).


I
t was a bit of a cloudy chilly evening (a bit of a shame as it was the summer solstice) so we turned in for the night. 

The next morning we went for breakfast at Mikes Kitchen and we (I) were treated to the first of the near-constant Spitfire flypasts of the weekend (sorry lads).



Much needed tea

We went for a drive to see some more of the island and found Sinah Beach which had so many shells!





Naturally I went for a paddle




Some goodies from the beach - a shell, sea glass and a nice witchy hag stone


Continuing on the watery theme, when we came back from the beach it was time for the swimming pool! Swimming is my absolute favourite holiday activity so when a pool was mentioned when discussing the holiday I didn't need asking twice 😀. The pool was quite small but perfect for bobbing about and doing the occasional length in. I'm at my most relaxed when immersed in water so it was the perfect activity. 

We were treated to a beautiful sunset that more than made up for the cloudy solstice. 








It was also the night of the full strawberry moon so we went out along the estuary to see if we could see it.

The last of the sunset




Sunset selfie

It was well worth the walk as the moon came up as a massive, red disk (hence the strawberry moon name). The themes of the strawberry moon are of celebration and loved ones so I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate it.

Best moon photo ever taken

A witch under the moon




On Sunday we woke up to brilliant sunshine and decided it was the perfect day to visit the beach and it's funfair.

A cheeky pre-beach gin




It was lovely watching the boats going in and out of the nearby Portsmouth Harbour and having a couple of drinks. 

The weekend's flypast theme continued with this Gazelle


Like the tourists we are we went to the funfair! I absolutely love funfairs and theme parks, being thrown around on rides shakes up my brain chemicals in the most fun way. 


Barry, Lydia and Luke moments before realising quite how wet the log flume was ....


We went back to Sinah Beach for lunch at The Ferryboat Inn (aka unlimited roast potatoes for some of the party 😉).

Beach day instaxes


We were left some 2for1 cocktail vouchers in our caravan when we arrived so we thought it would be rude not to take them up on their offer ...

Yes those are disco balls!



Lydia, Hilary and Barry decided to have one final round of Bingo which lead to a full house for Hilary 😁 we then went on to win the quiz too. 

We won a medal!

The next day was lovely and sunny to we decided to 'make a day' of the trip home. First up on the agenda was a new cultural experience for me with a trip to Tim Hortons. 



We spent the afternoon at Petworth House which I've wanted to go to for ages and I wasn't disappointed. There's plenty to look at from some historic kitchens (nice and cool in the heat), the house itself and the gardens. It was really hot so we didn't do a huge amount of the gardens so I definitely want to go back and explore more as there's a lovely looking lake and deer park. 








There was plenty to see in the house -




This reminded me of the Globes in the library in Vienna

Stained glass window in the chapel

The exterior of the house -





We had a quick walk into the village too -






Our final pit stop on the way home was for a quick drink at The Cricketers Arms and it's lovely garden.



It was such a lovely holiday and much-needed at the moment. And yes the next trip is already booked for Christmas!

Love Jen
XxxX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Duxford Battle Of Britain Airshow Review

  On Saturday I went to my final airshow of the year  Duxford's  famous Battle Of Britain airshow and I have to say it was probably the ...