Tuesday 31 December 2019

2019 In Music

2019 has been a bit of a quieter year in music for me, due to lack of funds I've not been able to invest in nearly as many songs and albums as I'dve liked (plus I still can't use Spotify). So here is a slightly shorter than normal guide to my favourite music of 2019.

Album of the year 

Bring Me The Horizon - Amo


I absolutely love this album, it's by far my favourite record by Bring Me The Horizon. It has a slightly more 'commercial' sound than their earlier music but I actually like that you can hear the lyrics to the songs more clearly. My favourite song on the album is Mother Tongue which is absolutely beautiful, there's also Mantra which although it was released as a single last year I'm including  in this review because it's such a great song. I'm really hoping to catch BMTH live at some point soon as I've only seen them once many years ago at Reading and it was actually on the strength of their live show that I got into them and brought up their entire back catalogue as soon as I was back! If you're into rock music then do yourselves a favour and give it a listen.

Runner up!

Taylor Swift - Lover


Before anyone says anything, yes this is a more unusual choice for me, but I'm not ashamed! I've liked Taylor's music ever since she moved away from her early country style music to pop. Her last album 'Reputation' was a darker, edgier affair whereas Lover feels like the joy after the storm. It's light and fluffy without becoming saccharine sweet with the occasional stinger of a lyric (see You Need To Calm Down) . My favourite song from the album is Lover which is a really sweet song. However if you only watch one video from this album then make it Me! (featuring Brendon Urie from Panic! At The Disco - if her music is good enough for him then it's good enough for me!) for the best use of a teeny, tiny kitten ever, alongside some incredibly over-dramatic and badly spoken French.

And now for my songs of the year (In no particular order)

Lil Nas X ft Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
George Ezra - Pretty Shiny People
Green Day - Father Of All ... & Fire Ready Aim
Billie Eilish - Bad Guy

As I said 2019 has been a little on the thin side for music but 2020 holds much more promise with new albums from Green Day and The Killers on the way (both pre-ordered obviously) and also upcoming gigs from them alongside Fallout Boy and Weezer (June  2020 is going to be very busy!).

Hopefully this time next year I'll be writing a blog enthusing about gigs and new albums. Also stay tuned for my upcoming 2010s in music blog.

Love Jen
XxxX






No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 In Music

  Hi guys it's that time of the year! I'm going to waffle away again about the music that I've loved this year 🎼. I've been...